This year has been all about challenging myself, trying new things and getting more creative in the kitchen. The thrill of nailing a hard recipe, or trying something that actually works is so gratifying. The thing about making Homemade Butter, is that it seems like something that would be really difficult, but it is actually one of the easiest things I have ever done! Nothing beats the flavor of Homemade Butter. It's unreal and I am encouraging you all to try this!
All you need is heavy whipping cream, a mixer and cheese cloth. I used a stand mixer, because I could "set it and forget it" as they say. The process takes about ten minutes and I didn't want to use a hand mixer for that, but if that is all you have on hand, it will work.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a bowl, or stand mixer. No measuring required.
- Using a whisk attachment, beat the heavy whipping cream until it separates. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Once the cream separates, pour in ice cold water into the mix. This will harden the butter so it will be easier to strain.
- Pour the mixture into a strainer lined with cheese cloth. Squeeze the butter until no more liquid comes out, then unwrap it.
- Now you have butter! Butter that you made yourself! Butter that was heavy cream about 15 minutes ago. Way to go!
Now that you have butter, you can add any seasoning you want and shape the butter into your desired shape. Wrap the butter in parchment paper and plastic wrap, then store in the fridge until you are ready to use it. Making Homemade Butter would be a great project for kids, because kiddos love to see how things are made and this was super exciting! Thank you all for cooking with me! Keep getting creative in the kitchen and trying new things.